Thursday, October 27, 2005

shipping tip


Shipping is what I do for the big VF. Its what I've done to provide for my family for the last 12 years. I didn't wake up one day and say "Hey I'd like to be in shipping" but as opportunities have developed over the years of my work career, they have been in the shipping business.

I started at a company called Organic Technologies when I was 20 on the very day Deanna was born. I worked my way up to manager and then after 5 years in that job I had the chance to come to San Antonio, Tx and work with the men at Vision Forum.

I have learned a lot about almost every aspect of shipping and trucking. I've loaded and shipped haz-waste and coffee decaffinator called Ethyl Acetate (a solvent that was five nines pure 99.999%). I've received and unloaded everything from tankers of acetone and vinegar (100 times stronger than what you buy in the store) to truckloads of books and toys.

Well I digress.

From time to time I will post under the title "shipping tips" a bit of the mundania regarding shipping that I have picked up over the years that will hopfully save you all a bit of money.

So here it is Shipping Tip #1

1.) For small packages under 3 pounds always consider Priority Mail. With the all the surcharges that the big guys are inposing after the freight, Priority Mail (for now) is always cheaper for a residential package of 1 or 2 pounds and sometimes less expensive for 3 pounds packages.

Surcharges are fees that the Big shippers impose on certain packages - especially rural and residential - because it takes more work to deliver them.

Residential surcharges run about $1.75 over the cost of freight and rural - Delivery Area Surcharge is running about $2.00.

Priority Mail has a (according to the USPS) 95% delivered by the third day rate.

Always do a cost comparision. The post office has been approved for rate increases that begin to take effect on April 2006.

For instance

1 pound to Chicago zip 60617 residential with fuel surcharges shipped from 78212

UPS Ground Residential
$7.61
Priority Mail
$3.85

2 pounds
UPS Ground Residential
$8.33

Priority Mail
$5.05

3 pounds
UPS Ground Residential
$8.75

Priority Mail
$7.15

Happy Shipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment