Tuesday, October 04, 2005

R.E. Lee - an awe inspiring example of Christian Manhood

(Here are a collection of quotes by Robert E. Lee I am always amazed by Lee's clear eyed view of God's creation Man's nature, and the unflinchingly high standards he held himself to. )

----------------------------------------------
You cannot be a true man until you learn to obey

A true man of honor feels humbled himself when he cannot help humbling others.

Obedience to lawful authority is the foundation of manly character.

Never do a wrong thing to make a friend or keep one.

Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret.

You can have anything you want - if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, have anything you desire, accomplish anything you set out to accomplish - if you will hold to that desire with singleness of purpose.

We failed, but in the good providence of God apparent failure often proves a blessing.

The education of a man is never completed until he dies.

The gentleman does not needlessly and unnecessarily remind an offender of a wrong he may have committed against him. He can not only forgive; he can forget; and he strives for that nobleness of self and mildness of character which imparts sufficient strength to let the past be put the past.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks to Paul over at http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation for permission to use the material above.

3 comments:

  1. Many of the quotes you give center around obedience to authority. What a stark contrast to today's standards!
    I think when people deny God's authority in their lives, they deny the validity of any other authority and rebellion (often masquarading as a form of independence) becomes a mark of manliness or maturity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R.E. Lee is one of my lifelong heroes; what a man of God.

    I'm enjoying your blog, and your wife's (which my daughter Stephanie Green led me to).

    Yes, you guessed it; I'm the bearded old fellow that thought you had the cutest kids...

    See my idea of "fun stuff for men only" at www.americanglasnost.blogspot.com

    Not for the pantywaist set, but most men can learn a thing or two, I hope...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must of missed this post. I am looking at his portrait on my wall as I write. We can learn much from the saints who have gone before us. In my opinion, which is informed by almost 19 years of military service, R.E. Lee was the greatest military leader in the history of our nation. Thanks for the tribute.

    ReplyDelete