Wednesday, October 26, 2005

remembered at dinner

(the culprits about the age the incedent described below took place)


funny how things jog your memory. I was sitting at dinner, the night before last, and something triggered a memory of Deanna and Kaitlyn's first bit of entrepreneurial spark.

We had a custom in Ohio of paying the kids a penny for each piece of trash they picked up in the front yard. (the backyard was their domain so they got to do that one for free)

Well anyway I was sitting at the computer and D and K kept bringing in handfuls of trash to be verified and paid for(we made them count out the trash to verify the quantity).

I guess it took me about 3 or 4 rounds of payola to realize they were bringing in handfuls of trash the looked remarkably similar to the trash they had brought in just before.

I didn't argue, I didn't fuss, I paid them for the handful of trash we were in the midst of verifying and waited for them to go back out to the front porch.

I then snuck up the the storm door and peaked around the corner......sure enough there they were with a copy of the local bargain ads on their laps and were taking turns tearing up the paper into neat little piles of "trash" to bring in for collections.

When questioned extensively about the matter it seems that their mother and I had failed to explicitly forbid the practice, and so it had seemed perfectly valid to lasses of seven and five.

No comments:

Post a Comment