Tuesday, September 27, 2005

a legacy worth having

One of the things I am deeply grateful to God for is having parents who were not afraid to ask for forgiveness.

My parents were very self-conscious about asking each other for forgiveness in front of the kids AND asking the kids to forgive them, when relationships went a bit awry (as they are apt to do when you have a WHOLE family descended from Adam and Eve :) .

As I grow older I appreciate this more and more. I have seen families who have no idea how to bring closure to disagreements and/or they bring closure between the offender and offendee but never bother to ask the innocent bystanders (read kids) to forgive them. When this happens it leaves children bewildered, confused, depressed and angry to say the least.

Not in our house. My parents never mistook modeling humilty in front of their children for weakness. Thank you LORD of lords for a Christian heritage!

I see now that my Mom and Dad went out of their way to give me a good idea of how a Christian resolves sin in his/her life. This model of humility is a legacy worth having ... I pray I will sucessfully pass this on to my little ones as well.

1 comment:

  1. You do a good job of following this model in your marriage. Thank you for being self-conscious about it.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete