Monday, March 13, 2006

She spelled it Phonetically

I had the 4 year old mite with me at work today. We get along smashingly but it can be a bit of a struggle to keep her productivly busy. I was having her color some alphebet coloring pages at the desk next to me. I guess it was a little bit beneath her -- she's mastered her vowel sounds (mostly) and is working on the consonants.

She flipped the "A is for apple" page over and began writing "words". After a few minutes with no small amount of satisfaction she announced "Dad I spelled Lydia"

I looked down and was immediately perplexed. All I saw on the page was 3 letters L T U. Not wanting to crush her enthusiam I used the age old "have the kids explain it so you don't make the kid feel dumb" tactitc.

Apparently I wasn't looking at it phonetically. "Daaad" she sighed "look- its Li-Tee-Uh"

OOOOOh Lydia. Silly me. Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment